Your Air Pollution Makes Me Sick! Estimating the Spatial Spillover Effects of PM2.5 Emissions on Emergency Room Visits in Chile
This study quantifies the spillover effects of PM2.5 emissions on emergency room visits due to respiratory diseases in Chile. We use several spatial panel methods and models controlling also for the potential endogeneity of air quality. Our estimates show that the spillover effects are downward biased when this endogeneity is ignored. Furthermore, using the estimates from our preferred model, we find that about 65% of the total emergency room visits in Chile are due to PM2.5 emissions generated in the same municipality, whereas the remaining 35% can be attributed to pollutants emitted in a different spatial unit. In economic terms, increasing PM2.5 emissions in one thousand tonnes yields to an increase of $98,010 USD of annual costs for ER health facilities due to spillover effects, whereas the total costs (considering indirect and direct effects) amounts to $283,855 USD.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Mauricio Sarrias, Anita Molina-Varas
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
REGION is an open journal, and uses the standard Creative Commons license: Copyright We want authors to retain the maximum control over their work consistent with the first goal. For this reason, authors who publish in REGION will release their articles under the Creative Commons Attribution license. This license allows anyone to copy and distribute the article provided that appropriate attribution is given to REGION and the authors. For details of the rights authors grant users of their work, see the "human-readable summary" of the license, with a link to the full license. (Note that "you" refers to a user, not an author, in the summary.) Upon submission, the authors agree that the following three items are true: 1) The manuscript named above: a) represents valid work and neither it nor any other that I have written with substantially similar content has been published before in any form except as a preprint, b) is not concurrently submitted to another publication, and c) does not infringe anyone’s copyright. The Author(s) holds ERSA, WU, REGION, and the Editors of REGION harmless against all copyright claims. d) I have, or a coauthor has, had sufficient access to the data to verify the manuscript’s scientific integrity. 2) If asked, I will provide or fully cooperate in providing the data on which the manuscript is based so the editors or their assignees can examine it (where possible) 3) For papers with more than one author, I as the submitter have the permission of the coauthors to submit this work, and all authors agree that the corresponding author will be the main correspondent with the editorial office, and review the edited manuscript and proof. If there is only one author, I will be the corresponding author and agree to handle these responsibilities.